Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Saving Money - A Rap Story Pt 1

In case you've been under a rock for the past couple of years, and never saw the following videos - "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and "$ave Dat Money" by Lil Dicky - please watch them as it will help for reference.

If you've seen these videos before, you know that the whole point them is to be frugal with your money; to go against the flow of the materialistic, instantly gratifying, lazy, and full priced culture we have created for ourselves.

Bennett, you're acting like some cold ass honky. What exactly are you talkin' about? Glad you asked. My generation has become so overcome with having things in the here and now, that our personal financial values have left us faster than snagging that last penny from a "Take One. Leave One." dish at a convenience store. My generation has a spending problem.

An example I see all too often is a young person working for their paycheck, and in a short amount of time, spend majority of it before deciding what would be best to do with it given their current situation. Maybe part of it should go towards student loans. Maybe they have a big expense coming up next month. Maybe they don't actually need $300 bottle service to have a good time on the weekend.

Now don't get me wrong by thinking I'm an old bag for not spending money. I am all for rewarding myself, but my god, it needs to be at the right time and it should be smart. With a simple and responsible plan, the fruits of one's labor can still be enjoyed (detailed more in part 2). What I'm asking is to take a little bit of Lil Dicky and Macklemore's message to heart and consider asking yourself, or a friend, "Is this the right purchase, and is it the best for me long term?", "Could I maybe get this cheaper somewhere else?", "Do you think they charged me for the ice-cubes?"

There are times and places to live in the moment but I think proper financials need to be practiced early and responsibly, so there is less worrying and stress each time someone checks their bank account.








B
(At this point, most people would start trimming, but I like to hold off as there is still a lot of growing to be done to get a nice thick beard. I'll continue to trim the neck line and start to clean up the upper check soon) 


No comments:

Post a Comment